Welcome to episode 105 of Mud Stories!
Mud Stories is a podcast dedicated to bringing you inspiration in your muddiest moments, hope to make it through your mud, and encouragement for you to know, you are not alone.
Today I’m continuing with part two of our conversation with Ann Voskamp, farmer’s wife, mom to seven kids, and the author of the New York Times Best Selling book One Thousand Gifts, as well as her recently released best seller, The Broken Way. Ann lives in Ontario, Canada with her family of nine and loves to find quiet and calm amidst the chaos of her life.
If you missed it, you can listen to part one of our conversation here, and in this part-two episode, Ann humbly shares about how her writing journey began, what her writing process looks like, and helpful thoughts on how to stay daily connected to God. She even answers my rapid fire questions about her favorite foods, her writing cabin, and how one does write while walking on a treadmill!
Ann and I first met at the Relevant Conference in the fall of 2011 and have crossed paths personally on many different occasions since. I’m honored to call her friend and to provide a space for her to share more of her vulnerable, transparent, and beautiful, broken heart.
AND we’re giving a book away!! To ENTER to win a copy of Ann’s Book:
Text the words: ‘THEBROKENWAY’
To the number: ‘33444’
Also, I want to share with you something new and exciting.. In lieu of advertising, I’m so thrilled to share about a new venture I’ve begun with Young Living essential oils. And what a huge, unexpected blessing it has been to me, both physically and emotionally.
The thing is, I hate network marketing and all the stigma of salesy-ness and bombardment it brings. YOU know what I mean. So no worries, this is not me becoming that. And truthfully, at first I was a little disappointed to discover Young Living is a network marketing company. But friends, the oils. THE OILS. They are simply amazing…God’s gifts and they’ve changed me. I can’t NOT share it with you.
And so, I’ve written some of my story with more information about how I discovered Young Living, and if you might consider laying aside your dislike of network-y companies and give it a chance, I just know it could bless you so! And of course you can always email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to personally chat about it together.
Here’s a little picture of what is included in a premium starter kit…11 oils AND a diffuser! You can always click here if you already know you want to get started.
In this episode with Ann we talk about:
- Where her writing journey began
- How best to handle criticism, especially when it hurts
- How ‘given’ is one of the most powerful words
- How writing often means waiting
- The importance of community and not doing everything on our own
Ann shares about:
- Some of the differences between writing One Thousand Gifts and The Broken Way
- The calm atmosphere and respite of her writing cabin
- Her heart’s cry and longing to never do anything to hurt the Church
- Her favorite go-to comfort foods
- And helpful insights for spending time with and staying connected to Him
Ann encourages us that:
- All IS grace
- The thorn in our side can be a gift which keeps us low and humble and dependent on Christ
- We can be deeply hurt by the church, but also profoundly healed by the church
- The heart of a critic can be changed by us showing up and being faithful, day in and day out
May this conversation remind us to release the broken pieces of our lives to our God, because He loves us so and leaves no thing unredeemed.
SCRIPTURE:The Lord is near to those who are of a broken heart, and saves such who are crushed with sorrow for sin and are humbly and thoroughly penitent. Psalm 34:18 (AMP)
CONNECT with Ann:
- Website: AnnVoskamp.com
- Ann’s latest book: The Broken Way
- The Broken Way Study Guide
- Mud Stories Episode 015: Laura Boggess, Connecting with God through Nature and the Wonder of Playdates with God
- David Nevue’s music
- Sign up for the FREE Online Bible Study of The Broken Way… Begins January 23, 2017! You’ll get access to all 6 study videos FREE + FREE downloads
*some links are affiliate links
I’d be SO grateful if you’d take the time to SUBSCRIBE to this podcast over in iTunes on your computer, or on the purple podcast app on your Apple device.
SUBSCRIBE HERE, so you don’t miss an episode
AND it helps others find this show!
TO DOWNLOAD THIS PODCAST:
How to listen to The Mud Stories Podcast
1. Subscribe to the Podcast – You can always access the podcast in iTunes or Stitcher, or you can search for Mud Stories on your smartphone’s podcast app. And if you have missed past episodes, you can also listen via iTunes or Stitcher after you’ve subscribed, or click HERE to find all the episodes.
Subscribe in iTunes HERE
Subscribe in Stitcher HERE
2. On your smart phone or mobile device– There are a lot of great podcasting apps. The most common one is Apple’s purple podcast app, and Stitcher Radio for Android devices. They all allow you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio.
3. Listen on the blog. Click to the podcast episode you would like to listen to and click the play button within the post.
Rate or Review the Podcast
By rating the podcast or writing a 1-2 sentence review, it will help others find Mud Stories more easily, exposing the podcast to a wider audience!
Thank you so much for your help!
CLICK HERE to leave a review in iTunes
CLICK HERE to leave a review in Stitcher