Welcome to episode 098 of Mud Stories!
Mud Stories is a podcast dedicated to bringing you inspiration in your muddiest moments, hope to make it through your mud, and encouragement for you to know, you are not alone.
- To be THE FIRST to receive sign-up information about Jacque’s new (soon coming) e-course:
Text the words: ‘CONNECTWITHYOURTEEN’
To the number: ‘33444’
Today I’m talking with Jen Bricker, an author, aerialist, and motivational speaker, who lives in Los Angeles, CA. Jen has traveled internationally with Brittney Spear’s Circus tour and has been featured as a headline aerialist in places like Las Vegas, New York, Tokyo, and Dubai. Jen loves organization, healthy eating, superhero movies, cute dogs, and has been known to feel deeply and laugh often!
Born without legs, one would think Jen Bricker would have been destined for a life of hardship. However, the hand of destiny brought her an amazing adoptive family, who gave her one simple rule, “Never say can’t” and helped her forge a life of triumph, not tragedy.
As a child, Jen was obsessed with gymnastics and her idol was Olympic gold-medalist Dominique Moceanu. Seemingly against all odds, Jen went on to compete against able-bodied athletes and became a State Champion in power tumbling—only later to discover Moceanu was actually her biological sister.
Through her faith, drive, and determination, she helps encourage us to dream big, garner our courage, and know that nothing is impossible.
In this episode we talk about:
- Fun facts about Jen (her heart is on the other side of her body!)
- How her adoptive family chose her name
- Being an aerialist and what that even means
- Her time on tour performing with Brittney Spears
- And the gift and the struggle of being single
Jen shares about:
- Her inspiring birth and adoption story
- How it was a surprise to her mom that she was born without legs
- Being raised without limits despite her physical limitations
- Becoming a gymnast and not understanding why people found her to be inspiring
- Handling questions and reactions to her physical appearance
- How she discovered and connected with her biological sisters, including Olympic gold medalist, Dominique Moceanu
- And how married couples can encourage their single friends
Jen encourages us to:
- Treat those who are different in an honest way
- Teach our kids appropriate ways to ask questions
- Not let fear rule or make your decisions
- Not let our stories define us or our happiness, even if our story doesn’t have a happy ending
- Eliminate the word “can’t” from our lives
May this conversation inspire you, bring you courage today, and be an encouragement to you no matter what you are facing!
I’d be SO grateful if you’d take the time to SUBSCRIBE to this podcast over in iTunes on your computer, or on the purple podcast app on your Apple device.
SUBSCRIBE HERE, so you don’t miss an episode
AND it helps others find this show!
SCRIPTURE:I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13 (NIV)
CONNECT with Jen:
- Website: JenBricker.com
- Jen’s book: Everything is Possible: Finding the Faith and Courage to Follow Your Dreams
- FREE audio book copy of Jen’s book and a live online hangout if you order Everything is Possible by September 6th
- Sleep Smarter: 21 Essential Strategies to Sleep Your Way to A Better Body, Better Health, and Bigger Success, by Shawn Stevenson
- MS 095 Jennifer Dukes Lee: The Happiness Dare
*some links are affiliate links
TO DOWNLOAD THIS PODCAST:
How to listen to The Mud Stories Podcast
1. Subscribe to the Podcast – You can always access the podcast in iTunes or Stitcher, or you can search for Mud Stories on your smartphone’s podcast app. And if you have missed past episodes, you can also listen via iTunes or Stitcher after you’ve subscribed, or click HERE to find all the episodes.
Subscribe in iTunes HERE
Subscribe in Stitcher HERE
2. On your smart phone or mobile device– There are a lot of great podcasting apps. The most common one is Apple’s purple podcast app, and Stitcher Radio for Android devices. They all allow you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio.
3. Listen on the blog. Click to the podcast episode you would like to listen to and click the play button within the post.
4. Listen on the Mud Stories App for FREE. Download your free app through the following links:
Rate or Review the Podcast
By rating the podcast or writing a 1-2 sentence review, it will help others find Mud Stories more easily, exposing the podcast to a wider audience!
Thank you so much for your help!
CLICK HERE to leave a review in iTunes
CLICK HERE to leave a review in Stitcher