Welcome to episode 078 of Mud Stories!
Mud Stories is a podcast dedicated to bringing you inspiration in your muddiest moments, hope to make it through your mud, and encouragement for you to know, you are not alone.
1. Join our new gathering place: The Mud Stories Gathering, a closed group on Facebook
2. AND enter a GIVEAWAY!!! by simply completing
—-> THIS SURVEY <—-
(Enter to win a 30 minute Skype session with Jacque or a $25 Amazon gift card!)
Today’s episode is part one of a two-part episode with Alan Chambers, and his wife Leslie, who share their very public story of Alan’s struggle with same sex attraction and their journey together from fear to grace and learning to love well, no matter the cost.
Alan served as the leader of Exodus International–a ministry he voluntarily closed in 2013 with a public apology to the LGBT community and anyone who had ever been marginalized or hurt by Exodus.
They write of their journey in their book, My Exodus: From Fear to Grace, and firmly believe we don’t need to compromise our theology to love as Christ loves. They share with passion about all they’ve found along the way–a call to accept God’s mercy, extend grace to our own hearts and to those God loves, and to love well, no matter what, even when it’s uncomfortable.
Alan and Leslie share about:
- Their growing up years
- Alan’s same sex attraction
- Leslie’s awareness same sex relationships
- The angst and tension of being a Christian and being gay
We talk about:
- The struggle in maintaining a double life
- The resistance and self-judgment and shame
- The way God met Alan in a gay bar one night
- The lifeline it was to find the ministry of Exodus International
Alan and Leslie’s story gripped me because of grace and I am praying we are all changed because of their words.
After you listen, I’d be SO grateful if you’d take the time to SUBSCRIBE to this podcast over in iTunes on your computer, or on the purple podcast app on your Apple device.
When you SUBSCRIBE, iTunes helps others find this show.
But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus … For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:4-6, 8-9 (ESV)
CONNECT with Alan and Leslie:
Alan & Leslie’s book:
TO DOWNLOAD THIS PODCAST:
How to listen to The Mud Stories Podcast
1. Listen on the Mud Stories App for FREE. Download your free app through the following links:
2. Listen on the blog. Click to the podcast episode you would like to listen to and click the play button within the post.
3. On your smart phone or mobile device– There are a lot of great podcasting apps. The most common one is Apple’s purple podcast app. Also the Downcast App for Apple devices and Stitcher Radio for Android devices. They all allow you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio.
4. Subscribe to the Podcast – You can always access the podcast in iTunes or Stitcher, or you can search for Mud Stories on your smartphone’s podcast app. And if you have missed past episodes, you can also listen via iTunes or Stitcher after you’ve subscribed, or click HERE to find all the episodes.
Subscribe in iTunes HERE
Subscribe in Stitcher HERE
Rate or Review the Podcast
By rating the podcast or writing a 1-2 sentence review, it will help others find Mud Stories more easily, exposing the podcast to a wider audience.
Thank you so much for your help!
CLICK HERE to leave a review in iTunes
CLICK HERE to leave a review in Stitcher