Welcome to episode 068 of Mud Stories!
Mud Stories is a podcast dedicated to bringing you inspiration in your muddiest moments, hope to make it through your mud, and encouragement for you to know, you are not alone.
In today’s episode I’m talking to Courtney Westlake, a native of central Illinois, mom of two , and wife to Evan. Courtney holds a degree in journalism from University of Illinois, and is a writer who has released a children’s book, a photography book, and will have her first traditionally published book released next year. She is a photographer specializing in natural light, and has an affinity for country music, boating, reading and Cool Ranch Doritos.
Life changed for Courtney and Evan the day their daughter Brenna was born, leading them through the grieving of normal, and into a life of surrender and change. It would be a time where their faith would grow, God would be near, and they would learn to give thanks even in the hardest circumstance they’d ever faced.
Courtney’s perseverance through adversity is inspiring, and her love and care for her daughter is an example of choosing thanks and getting joy, as the hardship of Brenna’s life has become one of their greatest blessings.
In this episode we discuss:
- The birth of Courtney’s daughter, Brenna
- The intensity and grief of the days following birth
- And the diagnosis of Harlequin Ichthyosis
- Her experience in grieving “normal”
- How suffering drives us to God
- How looking up to God in the midst of suffering brings us hope
- And how God brings others to him through our adversity
Courtney advises us:
- How to respond to others who are different from us
- How to show love and compassion and ask for what we need
- How to teach our kids to respond those different from us
- And how to choose to show up, be vulnerable, choosing God and choosing joy
And after you listen, I’d be SO grateful if you’d take the time to SUBSCRIBE to this podcast over in iTunes on your computer, or on the purple podcast app on your Apple device.
When you SUBSCRIBE, iTunes promotes Mud Stories, which helps others find this show.
SCRIPTURE:I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well. Psalm 139:14 (NASB)
CONNECT with Courtney:
- A Different Beautiful, by Courtney Westlake
- That’s How You Know, by Courtney Westlake
- The Spaghetti Shots: how to take better photos of your kids during everyday life, by Courtney Westlake
TO DOWNLOAD THIS PODCAST:
How to listen to The Mud Stories Podcast
1. Listen on the Mud Stories App for FREE. Download your free app through the following links:
2. Listen on the blog. Click to the podcast episode you would like to listen to and click the play button within the post.
3. On your smart phone or mobile device– There are a lot of great podcasting apps. The most common one is Apple’s purple podcast app. Also the Downcast App for Apple devices and Stitcher Radio for Android devices. They all allow you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio.
4. Subscribe to the Podcast – You can always access the podcast in iTunes or Stitcher, or you can search for Mud Stories on your smartphone’s podcast app. And if you have missed past episodes, you can also listen via iTunes or Stitcher after you’ve subscribed, or click HERE to find all the episodes.
Subscribe in iTunes HERE
Subscribe in Stitcher HERE
Rate or Review the Podcast
By rating the podcast or writing a 1-2 sentence review, it will help others find Mud Stories more easily, exposing the podcast to a wider audience.
Thank you so much for your help!
CLICK HERE to leave a review in iTunes
CLICK HERE to leave a review in Stitcher