Welcome to episode 031 of Mud Stories!
Mud Stories is a podcast dedicated to bringing you inspiration in your muddiest moments, hope to make it through your mud, and encouragement for you to know, you are not alone.
In today’s episode I’m talking with Jeannie Cunnion, writer, author, and speaker who makes her home in Connecticut with her husband and three exuberant boys!
Jeannie holds a Master’s degree in social work with a background in counseling, writing, and speaking about parenting and adoption. But despite all that training, Jeannie confesses to spending the first five years of her motherhood journey feeling like a failure–full of shame over the mistakes she sensed she was making as a mom.
And in her process of working through it all, Jeannie’s written a book entitled: Parenting the Wholehearted Child: Captivating Your Child’s Heart with God’s Extravagant Grace. A grace which she had to accept for her own heart, far before she could offer it to anyone else.
In this episode Jeannie and I discuss:
- Her childhood as a pastor’s kid
- The pressures of perfectionism and performance
- Her first marriage and divorce
- And the shame that nearly overcame her
- How she compensated for her failure
- How she tried to earn God’s love
- How she parented out of perfectionism
- And ultimately how she became shattered and changed by the power of God’s grace
Jeannie’s message of grace is powerful and life-changing. And if you’ve ever struggled with failure, shame, or guilt–striving, perfection, or performing–trying to be enough or trying to earn God’s favor, I am praying you’ll be moved and changed by Jeannie’s words and the power of God’s great grace.
And if you’re a parent today, this episode will enlighten you, strengthen you, and empower you, as it did me, to be the kind of parent you’ve longed for all along.
And I just know you’re going to love Jeannie’s words.
Mud Stories 031: Grace is God looking at your sin and giving you Jesus–then you extending it to others. [Tweet that]
And after you listen, I’d be SO grateful if you’d take the time to give a rating or review over at iTunes, to help others find this podcast. (follow the instructions below) Enjoy!
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8 (ESV)
We love because he first loved us.
1 John 4:19 (ESV)
So that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Ephesians 3:17-19 (ESV)
For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:38 (ESV)
CONNECT with Jeannie:
Jeannie’s Website: jeanniecunnion.com
- Jeannie’s Book: Parenting the Wholehearted Child: Captivating Your Child’s Heart with God’s Extravagant Grace
- FREE First Chapter of Jeannie’s book
- Jeannie’s FREE Study Guide to her book, Parenting the Wholehearted Child
- Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus, by Elyse Fitzpatrick
- FREE Resources for Finding Freedom from Failure, by Jacque Watkins
TO DOWNLOAD THIS PODCAST:
Right click here and save-as, to download this podcast episode. (If reading this in email, click HERE)
How to listen to The Mud Stories Podcast
1. Listen on the Mud Stories App for FREE. Download your free app through the following links:
2. Listen on the blog. Click to the podcast episode you would like to listen to and click the play button within the post.
3. On your smart phone or mobile device– There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one in the app store, and there’s also one called Downcast, and another called Stitcher Radio. Many of them allow you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. Let us know your favorite!
4. Subscribe to the Podcast – You can always access the podcast in iTunes or Stitcher, or you can search for Mud Stories on your smartphone’s podcast app. And if you have missed past episodes, you can also listen via iTunes or Stitcher after you’ve subscribed, or click HERE to find all the episodes.
Subscribe in iTunes HERE
Subscribe in Stitcher HERE
Rate or Review the Podcast
By rating the podcast or writing a 1-2 sentence review, it will help others find Mud Stories more easily, exposing the podcast to a wider audience.
Thank you so much for your help!
CLICK HERE to leave a review in iTunes
CLICK HERE to leave a review in Stitcher